Tuesday, February 26, 2008

And to the naysayers....

My last two posts address the importance of nonprofits living within their means. Even as I wrote them I am aware of nonprofit organizations that overspend believing that their donors will come through for them and the donors always do come through, and so the organization continues living from donation to donation. However it has been my experience that for every organization that manages to survive using that philosophy there are three other organizations that have to close their doors because they relied on that philosophy. I am also seeing that larger donors and funders are increasingly becoming more discerning. They are looking for financial healthy organizations to give to, where they believe their money will be handled wisely and can make a long term difference because the nonprofit will be around for the long term.

No comments: